Monday, January 31, 2011

A Pain in the Gut!!

So many of you may not know our most recent goings on. Life is funny, just when you get comfortable you get reminded that life is not meant to be simply comfortable. We began the year with a small, but unfounded scare. It was brought to our attention that Izabella is almost alarmingly small. This was followed by an orthodontist appointment where we were told her teeth development is at least a year behind. When discussing it with our family Dr., she is so short she is below the growth chart...she doesn't even register on it. So some tests were ran and all her GH and TSH levels were normal . However, most height prediction tests I've done say Izabella will be 4'9" at her full height. I may ask the neurologist if there is any connection between what Jasz has and her stature, but at least she is healthy. There are definitely worse things a person can have.

Alina, it turns out has the same constipation issues as Jasz. Her belly is not distended, but she can voice her pain, which is how we found out about her problem. She had a really bad abdominal day in December and she thought it was related to milk. So after discussing it with our family Dr. I brought her to see the GI Dr. who saw Jasz, expecting him to run a lactose intolerance test. He opted to do an x-ray instead. He found her gut was full. She is a bit on the underweight side and he guesses that there is no room for her to eat a lot. So perhaps she's not picky about dinner...she's full and it hurts. That was an unpleasant revelation thinking back to all the frustrating dinners where she would eat one bite and then say she was full. We never believed her I just thought she hated my cooking...arghh!Poor baby!!

Today, over a week later, Alina is home from school in a lot of pain. Things are just not moving in that department despite laxatives and "poopy Fruits". After a call to the GI Dr., we are upping her dosage and she is getting an over the counter pill to help as well. Hopefully we can get that gut working.

My frustration with this whole thing is that Dr.'s seem to want to treat the symptoms and not look for a cause. I have a consultation set up with the nutritionist in the GI Dr.'s office to see if she can maybe pinpoint some problem foods. That appointment is in the end of Feb., so I will keep a food journal on both Alina and Jasz in the mean time.

I am sure there is purpose to all of this, I just can't see the forest for all the trees right now. It's too hard to watch my kids hurt to see a purpose in it. Right now I just want to get more of an answer than what I have, and hopefully I will.

I constantly have the Mantra..."things could be worse." going through my head and Lord I know that is true.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths. PROVERBS 3:5

Pray that I let God lead us as He has already done, and that I have the wisdom to Follow His ways!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, no wonder I haven't heard from you. Nicolas was so impacted last month it took a few weeks for things to straighten out. Watching his diet carefully to keep things moving along. As always you are all in my prayers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that you are traveling the Medical path with all the wonders to be discovered. Perhaps you are being led down a path of discovery. I can certainly see you as Nurse Rebecca. love mom

    ReplyDelete