Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Saying Goodbye

This week has been a hard one as most of you know.  My dear friend Wren lost her battle to cancer this past Saturday.  For those that don't know the story, she was here in California for 3 years and 2 of those she was my MOPS leader.  She held my hand and prayed with me throughout Tom's battle with cancer. 

They were planning on their family being complete at 2 little boys, but despite all precautions she became pregnant again.  They took this as God's blessing and knew he would provide.  Quite suddenly Brian was moved by the Spirit to return to Texas for a new pastoral job.

Within a month of that move and at 25 weeks pregnant they discovered Wren had stage III Colon cancer.  They weren't totally sure at that point if it was only stage III because they couldn't do a CT scan, but from what they could tell on the MRI it was stage III.  They had to do a milder form of chemo that was relatively safe for their baby.

Grace Horn was born in August of 2011 with much rejoicing.  Though she spent some time in the NICU she was a fighter and quickly was able to go home.  They discovered that the cancer had spread though and Wren's fight got harder.  I won't go into all the twists and turns.  What I will share with you is that throughout Wren's battle with cancer her faith was steadfast.  She took time to look at other people's needs and to pray for them.  When it became clear that treatment was not helping she went on Hospice and on September 22, 2012 Wren went home to heaven.

It never ceases to amaze me that someone I knew for such a short time has had such a profound impact upon my life.  I keep shedding tears as my heart breaks for her children and those of us left behind.  The world lost a huge light on Saturday and I am sorry for those who never got to know her.  As someone said, she never knew a stranger.  She had this infectious smile that couldn't help cheer you from even the worst of moods.  I may never know the purpose in Wren's journey ending this way, but I do know she led people through her battle to Christ.

This morning in my sorrow a poem came to me...I literally sat down and typed it out.  I couldn't even see the screen for all the tears pouring down my cheeks.  But it has seemed to bring comfort to many.

So I will share it on here and I hope you will join me in saying goodbye to Wren and in praying for her husband and kids who now must face this life without her.






Wren’s Wings

Big blue eyes shining Bright
Met their Savior the other night
Babes at rest did not know
Their sweet mom an angel would go

Sweet Sweet Husband held her hand
Through every test though not their plan
God hold his hand now
As he goes on, but doesn’t know how

Friends all prayed from far and near
In hopes their pleas God would hear
The answers you see are not always yes
Sometimes the answer feels like a test

She knew her path was clear
We all still hoped it would veer
Her faith stood strong it never failed
And now heaven to her is unveiled

Sweet Sweet Wren traded her wings
From those of a bird to those that could sing
May her babies always know her love
For it will shine from above

We will miss you dear beautiful friend
Your spirit could fill a canyon with no end
Fly fly wonderful mother and wife
We will see you in the next life.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear this news, Becky. I will keep her family and friends in my prayers too.

    ReplyDelete